I've just started doing this.
First motivation was to generate json schema from kotlin classes during the build. I have a buildSrc that exposes a task that searches the classpath for classes with a n annotation and then generates JSON schema from them.
Ive started making some primative 'dsl' for builds -- things that are not quite real 'tasks' but more complicated then a function call.
I have added a major hack to work around stale local dependencies and version numbers.
In a common plugin, it registers a task to all library builds that generate a versions.properties file that maps a project structure to the dependancy notation + version.
Then the same plugin ..... when applied to a downstream build reads the versions file and creates the exact version dependency and artifact IDs
This allows me to do something like this:
compile depends( "project-dir:sub-dir" )
and this turns into the right
These are collected in a directory tree per build (multiple sub-projects) and merged into one big directory that contains the properties files and the actual published artfacts --
This simulates what I have the CI server doing (team city)
where multiple chained dependent builds get their artifacts from specific upstream builds, tracking the version numbers.
THere is certianly a better way to do this, but I have tried too many worse ways that I ended up with this --